Get ready to drive to Spiti for the Perseid meteor shower!
There is much excitement at the Gaddi Trails Camp. This august we are looking forward to the long weekend of 11th to 15th. We will drive to Spiti for the Perseid Meteor Shower which is often referred to as the most spectacular show on Earth!
Enthusiasts in the Northern hemisphere rank it as their all-time favorite meteor shower. And it is best watched far from city lights. In a place that is least likely to be cloudy and most likely to present a dark open sky.
What better place than Spiti. The high altitude cold desert that receives virtually no rain while the subcontinent experiences the notorious monsoon. The valley is free of light pollution too. These are just a few reasons that make Spiti an ideal place to be for this celestial show.
Here is a short video of the Perseid meteor shower as it was seen in August, 2016:
Remember … all good things come to those who wait. Meteors are part of nature. There’s no way to predict exactly how many you’ll see on any given night. We will simply help you sit alongside like minded travelers, and find the best spots to sit back and wait for the spectacle to unfold.
Itinerary for the Drive to Spiti for the Meteor Shower – 5 nights / 6 days
Day 1 – 9th August
- (Dinner) Overnight – Kalpa (hotel)
- Report in Shimla by 9 Am
- Today we will drive along the NH22 earlier referred as the Old Hindustan Tibet Road to make your way towards Narkanda and then Kalpa.
- Arriving in Kalpa, check-in into a hotel and after attending a briefing session about the rest of the Spiti valley tour, retire for the day
Day 2 – 10th August (Breakfast/ Dinner) Overnight- Tabo (homestay)
- Drive from Kalpa to Tabo
- Driving along the river Sutlej considered as one of World’s most scenic roads.
- Stop at Nako village for lunch and enjoy the scenic lakeside surrounded by snow capped mountain peaks.
- Will be crossing various points of interest ie- Khab (confluence of spiti river and satluj) , Reo purgyal Peak.
- Post lunch you’ll be able to notice the changing landscape and barren mountains as you enter Spiti Valley.
- Rest for the night in a home stay in tabo
Day 3 – 11th August (Breakfast/ Dinner) Overnight- Khibber (home stay)
- Start the day with with a visit to Ajanta of the Himalayas the Tabo Chos-Khor Monastery as it is popularly known. If lucky we can attend the morning prayers.
- Then we will visit the Dhankhar monastery. *note on this day there is an option of trekking to the beautiful Dhankhar lake (Strongly recommended). Or otherwise visit Komic (highest village in the world connected by road)
- Post the hike we will proceed to kaza for a quick stop and buy supplies and refuel. Option of exploring the market .
- Then we will proceed to our destination for the night the spectacular khibber village. Overnight in home stay.
Day 4 – 12th August (Breakfast/lunch/Dinner) overnight -chandrataal (tents)
- Soon after breakfast head towards Kunzum La a high altitude pass, and onwards to chandrataal .
- Enjoy a lunch at 15,000 ft above sea level . on top of the pass.
- Reach Chandrataal check into your tents and the we will proceed to the lake , a 15 minute drive.
- Here you will have time to spend by the crystal clear blue/green waters of this high altitude lake.
- Retire for the night
Day 5 – 13th August (Breakfast/Dinner) overnight -Manali (hotel)
- As all days we will begin our day early, after breakfast we will begin our last leg of the journey to Manali over the famous Rohtang Pass.
- Drive through one of the most treacherous roads in the country (probably the world) .
- Cross the Rohtang Pass back into civilization.
- Check into hotel in Manali.
Day 6 – 14th August (breakfast)
- Checkout at the given checkout time from the hotel.
- Head back home to your respective destinations. With another destination under your belt
End of itinerary
Cost per person – 16500/-
- Accommodation on double sharing basis Kalpa , Tabo
- Hotel, Village home stay, tented accommodation on double sharing.
- Breakfast and Dinner.
- All transfers by a comfortable non-AC vehicle from Day 1 to Day 6. Driver charges, fuel, all applicable toll
- Advanced First Aid certified Company representative. With a emergency First aid kit.
- Goodie bag
- Delhi – Shimla airfare /rail fare/bus fare.
- Manali – Delhi airfare /rail fare/bus fare
- Lunch on all days not included (Except day 4)
- Breakfast not included on first day
- Dinner not included on the last day of check out.
- Sleeping bag, items of personal clothing and personal in nature (prescribed medication)
- Expenses of a personal nature like laundry, insurance Beverages and snacks during the journey or any other tea house, tips for guides & cooks
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control.
All accommodation is budget based as the valley offers very little opportunity for luxury. However lack of luxury does in no way mean lack of hygiene.
Morning movement will happen no later than 08.00 hrs (8Am).So that we can make most of our days.
For more details contact Yuvaresh Singh Mankotia @